|Duane Hettich, Brent and I in Barcelona|
- Before leaving North Dakota, I travelled with a friend to Portage La Prarie, Manitoba, Canada for a special gathering at a special place that I last visited as a teenager with Lisa Swenson, who was there this time too with her whole family.....it was strange and wonderful to think of all the changes since the last time I was there.
- In August, Brent and I each flew half way around the world to meet up in Spain...he from Korea and I from California. We spent a weekend in Barcelona where we attended an annual church convention on the property of our good friends, the Gutierrez family. Another friend also attending was Duane Hettich, originally from South Dakota....I think we managed to surprise him!
- Brent and I left Spain (together this time) and flew to London where he attended business meetings and I attended the Olympics!....and a few other fun tourist attractions. My favorite was Hampton Court, historic home of British royalty, including Henry the VIII, Queen Elizabeth I, etc. Actors throughout the castle and grounds brought history to life. I loved the gardens, outdoor cafe, riverside setting, etc, etc. Afterward I was invited to supper (although I think they call it tea) with a nearby family of friends.....we partook in the garden, in true British style!
|Tea in the garden with friends|
|Hampton Court, one of many gardens on the grounds|
|Brent and I in London, August 2012|
- September was back to school (and work) but we did get away for a few days to attend Hunter, North Dakota, church convention with Brent's family on the property of his cousin, Mark Richtsmeier. We were fed well there, both naturally and spiritually...and enjoyed special, uplifting days with family and friends.
- October was the month I began working at Dana Hills High School, filling in for a colleague out on leave, in addition to my regular assignment. I don't have a picture of the students, but I will never forget their innocent, childlike honesty and the impression it made on me. Most the the students were severly handicapped teenagers. Mentally, they were not able to grasp abstract thought or sarcasm. The words of Jesus came to mind " ...suffer little children and forbid them not to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven"
- We made our annual trek to Tanama, Mexico in November....loved it as always, but had to wait 4.5 hours to cross back over to the US side of the border. We made it home with just enough time for Brent to pack his back and catch a flight for a business trip to Korea.
- December's memorable events were the farewell gatherings that were held in honor of Ethan's roommate, Nate Galuza, who started in the ministry. Nate felt like a part of our family, and we can't express how much we appreciated his special qualities and friendship....we are all missing him already!
|Ethan, Nate, and Ryan at our farewell supper for Nate|
Happy Holidays everyone, and Happy New Year from the Richtsmeiers! May 2013 be a wonderful year of blessings for each one!